Dr. John Marangos is a Professor of Economics. He has taught in Australia, Hong-Kong, USA, Greece and Ghana. The publications or in the process of publication include: Eleven books (two of them the Greek), sixteen book chapters, sixty-four refereed journal articles, nine refereed papers in conference proceedings, fourteen entries in encyclopedias, one report, seven book reviews, seven course and multimedia developments projects and nine research grants. He is among the top 5% authors in the world according to Number of Journal Pages and Number of Journal Pages Weighted by Number of Authors.
Professor Marangos serves as Associate Editor, International Journal of Social Economics, Member of the Editorial Board of Πανοeconomics, Member of the Editorial Board of the Hellenic Open Business Administration Journal, Member of the Editorial Board of the Forum for Social Economics, and has served as Editor, (2006-11), Forum for Social Economics, Section Editor International Economics and Development Studies, (2007-10) Global Business & Economics Review, Guest Editor, (2007), “Living Standards and Social Well-Being” Review of Social Economy, (with Deborah M. Figart), Guest Editor, (2005), “The Political Economy of Transition”, Global Business & Economics Review, Member of the Editorial Board of Studies in Economics and Finance (2009 to 2013), Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Economic Issues (2004-7), Member of the Editorial Board of the Global Business & Economics Review (2004-6).
Professor Marangos has served as an advisor, reviewer and evaluator for various departments of the Greek government, the European Union, Science Foundations and international Organizations.
Areas of Expertise
- International Development
- International Political Economy
- International Studies
- Transition process in Russia, Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union and Asia
- Innovative methodologies for teaching economics.
- Comparative Economic Systems
- PhD LaTrobe University, Melbourne, Australia.
- MEc Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- BEc Athens School of Economic and Commercial Sciences, Greece
Key Publications & Presentations
- Marangos J., (ed.), (2017), The Internal Impact and External Influence of the Greek Financial Crisis, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- Siskos D. and J. Marangos, (2017), “Restructuring Accounting Education: The Key to Avoiding Another Financial Crisis in Greece”, in Marangos J., (ed.), (2017), The Internal Impact and External Influence of the Greek Financial Crisis, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, pp. 207-234.
- Alfa, M. and Marangos, J. (2016) “An empirical appraisal of the role of money in Nigerian politics”, International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.65–88.
- Marangos J., (2014), “A Keynesian Alternative to the Washington Consensus Policies for International Development”, International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.67–85.
- Marangos, J., Fourmouzi, V. and Koukouritakis, M. (2013), “Factors that Determine the Decline in University Student Enrolments in Economics in Australia: An Empirical Investigation”, Economic Record, Vol. 89, No.285, pp.255-70.
- Universities in the USA
- Government and Hellenic Open University, Greece
- Swiss Management Center University, Switzerland
- University of San Pablo, Guatemala
- Universities and corporations in Ghana
- Government engagements in Australia
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Clarence E. Ayres Scholar Award by the Association For Evolutionary Economics. The exceptional research within the area of institutional economics in an international setting is what prompted the AFEE Awards Committee and AFEE Board of Directors to recognize your work with the Ayres Scholar Award.