Dr. Ray is the CTO at Blue Glacier Management Group and has 35 years of project management, organizational management, and senior systems engineering experience that includes broad-based problem solving related to the structured acquisition of information technology systems. He is responsible for establishing and maintaining the technical culture and organizational learning posture of the company. He managed airborne ISR, cybersecurity, and vehicle integration projects at Northrop Grumman for 29 years, and set up and managed a Software Integration and Test Lab (SITL) for 12 years. He has extensive systems engineering experience and is effective at hiring, team building, management, deployment, mentoring and development of top-notch talent. He is a practiced and effective speaker with excellent verbal and writing skills.
Dr. Ray has also served as a Professor and Member of the Graduate Faculty at UMBC where he taught graduate level Project Management, International Project Management, Systems Engineering, and Organizational Learning courses, and is a member the Engineering Management Advisory Board. Dr. Ray supported SMC University in Zug, Switzerland, as an Adjunct Professor where he mentored Doctoral candidates through the dissertation process, and taught online courses in Management, Advanced Political Economy, Law and the State, World and Comparative Politics, Performance Management, International Relations, and Contracts and Negotiations. Dr. Ray has also developed and conducted numerous courses as a Professional Trainer related to Systems Engineering and Project Management at the NSA, DoE, and Northrop Grumman.
Areas of Expertise
- Project and Organizational Management.
- Technical resource planning, staffing, and resource management.
- Project planning, cost control, scheduling, budget forecasting, and status reporting.
- Bringing structured process controls to software development, integration and test activities.
- International Project Management.
- Organizational learning and modern knowledge creation modeling.
- Systems engineering, integration and test (SE&IT).
- New business development, capture planning and management, and strategic business planning.
- Juris Doctor (JD), Law, University of Maryland School of Law,
- Doctor of Management (D.Mgmt.), Management, SMC University, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Master of Science (MS), Engineering Management, The George Washington University, USA.
- MS Civil Engineering (CE), University of Maryland, USA.
- Bachelor of Science CE, University of Maryland, USA.
Key Publications & Presentations
- Ray, J. S. (2015). Dispelling the myth that organizations learn from failure. UMBC, Baltimore, MD. December 25th, 2015. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2776873.
- Ray, J. S. (2014). Advancing knowledge creation modelling through improved organizational communications. Paper presented to SMC University, September 2014, in partial fulfillment of the requirements for a Doctors of Management degree.
- Ray, J. S. (2012). Facebook: A case study of strategic leadership. SMC University Working Paper, Zurich, Switzerland, April 8, 2012. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2103975.
- Ray, J. S. (2011). Cultrual comparison of the United States and China from the project manager’s perspective. SMC University Working Paper, Zurich, Switzerland, July 12, 2011. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2104458.
- Ray, J. S., and Sanderson, S. A. (2001). Earned value management model for small software development projects. Paper presented at the 13th Annual Software Technology Conference (STC), Salt Lake City, Utah, May 3rd, 2001, STC proceedings located at http://www.stc-online.org. Paper also available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2108506.
- Ray, J. S. (1999). A secure Windows NT automated labeling system: Creating NTFS file access controls based on definable data labels. Systems and Information Technology Review Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1, Spring/Summer 1999. TRW S&ITG, Reston, VA, pg’s 29-44.
- The Board of Directors for the Institute of Digital Business Strategy (IDBS) out of Ghana and South Africa. The IDBS helps companies in South Africa with the digital transformation of their business processes.
- The Systems Engineering and Test Manager on the London Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) in London, UK.
- Doctoral mentoring 18 doctoral candidates through the dissertation process. These international students come from Ghana, Canada, Italy, Guatamala, South Sudan, and other countries.
- Project Manger for the UK MoD Key Strategic Partnering bid response conducted out of Farnham, UK.
- Subject matter expert on International Project Management (PM) , and has developed and conducted graduate level courses in International PM.
Honors & Awards
- Registered Professional Engineer: Maryland; Virginia
- Attorney At Law: Maryland; Colorado
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP)
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt